Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, Yesterday I vacuumed and brushed out our dog kennel. There

Yesterday I vacuumed and brushed out our dog kennel. There were mice droppings I didn't think much of it. After researching online I am scared to my witts end about having contracted hantavirus... I am also 20 weeks pregnant. The mouse droppings would have been there about 1-2days. It was outdoors I hoovered them. I had no mask or gloves and live in a semi rural area. My question is how long does this virus from exposure take to show in your blood? I would like to request blood tests from my doc but wondered how long I have to wait. Thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The hantavirus has an incubation of 2 to 4 weeks which means it would take from 2 to 4 weeks to manifest its symptoms in humans.
So, you will need to wait at least 2 weeks before you can request a test.
The contact you mention was trivial, the first prerequisite of acquiring the virus is that the mice who dropped the feces were infected themselves. Secondly, you need to respire a good amount of the virus droplets and those are only available in wet fresh feces, these as you mentioned were dry feces which had been lying around for a while. Thirdly, one has to have a deficiency of the immune system in order to acquire these kind of viruses unless there is an outbreak.
Having said that, for your own peace of mind, you should get tested approximately 14 days after the said exposure.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any symptoms I will exhibit right away ? A lot of the web based info is saying weeks before symptoms can appear
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Some individuals experience a flu like illness within 5 days of exposure but that is not the rule.
If you want to get tested 14 days post exposure would be good enough according to my clinical experience.
Best.