Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a wide local excision 5 weeks ago they have sent the

I had a wide local excision 5 weeks ago they have sent the Dcis for a second opinion (with no result) now it has been sent to the top leeds hospital for another opinion.why do they do this..it does not stop me worrying has it spread.I will not get my results back before I go on holiday.should I cancel holiday.thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--what was the first pathology report--just DCIS?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not yet a confirmatory report.so far possibly a papillary dcis.need to rule out invasive cancer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not yet a confirmatory report.know it is possibly a papillary dcis.need to rule out invasive cancer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. We can continue after this but first off no need to cancel your holiday trip.

The main purpose of the pathology report is to make sure that the surgical margins are clear--that all the area of cancer has been fully excised with no cancer cells left behind.

The second opinion may just be to confirm that this is truly DCIS and not just a benign adenoma of your breast.

In general, the first excision of DCIS is successful and no further surgery is necessary

Let me know if you have any further questions