Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have had mucus diarrhea weeks. I have been diagnosed

I have had mucus diarrhea for several weeks. I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis. I had 7 days anti biotic and the diarrhea cleared up. After four weeks it began again. The Feacal test was normal. I have no pain.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
Do you have a history of bowel issues?
or is this new?
ever had a colonoscopy or stool test for parasites/infection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No history of bowel disease. This was new. Began on 29 th February in the morning with explosive diarrhoea and a headache. No real pain other than cramping which was relieved having been to the toilet.
did you ever have a colonoscopy?
what was the stool test for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had a colostomy in 2011. This was for discomfort in the rectum. Nothing was found. I think it was stress related. They discovered diverticulosis. Stool test was done about 3/4 weeks ago. Have no blood in loose stools but have some light brown mucus.
yes, but was the stool test for infection? what did they test for recently?
and you have had irritable bowel before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think the test was for blood and bacteria. Results normal .no bacteria. Have had slight irritable bowel over the years when I was younger. Had bouts of constapation. never had a serious problem. Have had sensitive bowels from time to time but never for so long.
Okay thanks Dee
I think what happened here was that you got an infection that cleared on its own.
However, the infection disrupted the normal bacterial balance in your GI tract. This is causing persistent symptoms.
I would recommend a probiotic. And a diet called the FODMAP diet.
Culturelle brand probiotic is a good one.
Here is a link to the FODMAP diet.
https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf
this should help restore the normal balance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Are you saying the antibiotics cleared the infection ( I was clear for 4 weeks ) and it came back due to bacterial imbalance. ?
Is there no chance that the antibiotics I had ( metronidazole and amoxicillin) was not a long enough course? I had just 7 days.
Will follow your advice with the probiotics and hope for the best. Just worried about bowel cancer. Thanks
I highly doubt bowel cancer given the recent colonoscopy and lack of typical symptoms.
I do think it is bacterial imbalance.
longer duration of antibiotics likely won't help
please don't forget a positive rating and confirm the above with your own doctor. Thanks
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)