Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Pain and high calprotectin

Customer Question

Pain and high calprotectin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--can you tell me more about this and what is your specific question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For one year I have been experiencing discomfort in my lower left quadrant. Occasionally it is extremely painful and I experience spasms. The spasms radiate towards my back passage and the pain in the back passage is excrutiating. This spasming period lasts for about 30 min, then stops. However, during my normal every day to day I'll get a fleeting sharp pain in my back passage that lasts less than second. My GP took a stool sample a few months ago, phoned me today and told me I have high calprotectin in my stool and that I've been refered to a gastroentorologist. Originally I thought I might have IBS but now my GP speculates that I have IBD. This morning when I was in the shower I felt a small lump on the outside of my back passage. Perhaps a hemorrhoid, but I've never had hemorrhoids before. Could the lump have something to do with the high calprotectin level? I am a 27 year old female

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK, Any problem with diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a bowl movement at the same time every day. Often it can be loose but not too watery. Maybe type 4 on the Bristol chart. Often when I go to the toilet I need to go again an hour or 2 later

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK. We can continue after this if you'd like

No, the hemorrhoid would not affect the calprotectin level.

You need colonoscopy and upper endoscopy to rule in or rule out either Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, but you may not have either. Irritable bowel syndrome can also cause high calprotectin levels.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need to discuss this further
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am waiting to see the gastroentorologst and I will request a colonoscopy and endoscopy. The GP on the phone told me that IBS is ruled out and that Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis is much more likely. Is my GP wrong when she told me that IBS is now ruled out?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
IBS can't really be ruled out by tests--it's a diagnosis of exclusion, made only after other possible causes are ruled out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answers were too short and not detailed enough to warrant the money I have paid. I recieved no more information than I already knew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Not enough detail to warrant the price I have paid
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry if you're unhappy and I'll be glad to give you all the information you need until you're satisfied. What more information do I need to include here?