Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

, I am concerned I may have DVT. I'm male, in my mid-30s

Hi, I am concerned I may have DVT.
I'm male, in my mid-30s and 4 months ago I had sclerotherapy in both legs to treat varicose veins. Following that I developed a nasty case of phlebitis which, after a course of anti-inflammatory medication, slowly subsided.
A little over a week ago, I travelled by coach (3 hour journey) to visit a friend. When I was with her we spent a lot of time sitting talking or at the cinema (again sitting...there was some minor walking inbetween however). On my return coach journey I developed pain behind both knees. I thought it might be because of where the compression stockings that I now wear on a daily basis were gripping. The pain eased off at the time. However, 5 days later I developed a pain/ache in my lower left leg towards the bottom of my calf muscle - it comes and goes, but never feels quite "normal". That was two days ago. Since then I have also had intermittent aches/pains by my inner knee and up my inner thigh. In addition to this, when I went out for a walk yesterday evening I developed this cramping sensation in my left buttock as well as an ache under the toes of the same leg. I have also had the odd twinge of a similar nature start in my right leg today. Do these sound like I should be concerned about DVT or is it possibly something else? Any advice would be gratefully received.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This does not sound like DVT, as DVT presents with intense pain, swelling, redness and warmth of the affected part of the leg, sometimes there is bluish or discoloration as well on the affected leg. DVT usually occurs in the thighs and less in the calf, your symptoms are trivial and since they involve the gluteal area, back of the thigh and the mostly the back of your leg, and are not beginning to affect both the legs. I would assume that they are due to impingement of nerves whether during the coach ride, prolonged sitting or due to the procedure you had. The possibility of the compression stockings being a little too tight also makes sense but then the pain would be more generalized and also not affect the buttocks which are spared in TED or compression stockings.
Let me know if you have any other queries about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.