Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I've mistakenly taken 40mg if citalopram instead of 20mg on

I've mistakenly taken 40mg if citalopram instead of 20mg on Tuesday and yesterday. Do i take my normal 20mg dose today or should I skip it? I have no side effects and feel well in myself
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I can understand your concern for the dosage of citalopram.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Yes,you need to skip your next dosage of 20 mg of today.
The usual starting dose of citalopram is 20 mg in the morning or evening. The dose may be increased to 40 mg daily.
The maximum recommended Citalopram dosage for most people is 60 mg once daily, although doses above 40 mg are generally not recommended.
You were prescribed with 20 mg per day & by mistake you took 40 mg of citalopram instead of 20mg on tuesday and yesterday.
There is nothing to worry & this will not cause any side effect.This is not an overdosage but is more then your prescribed one.
You need to skip your next dosage of 20 mg of today to avoid any side effects.
From tomorrow,you can take the normal prescribed dosage of 20 mg per day.
And do take care in future.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert