Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

how long does antabuse block cocaine feel good?

Customer Question

and I am on mod vigil atm can I take that as prescribed by my doctor and will it still help?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this but a one time dose of antabuse would block the feel good effects of cocaine for about 24 hours.

If the anabuse were taken regularly for, say, a week or longer, the blocking effect would last for about three days after the last anabuse was taken

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok but can I take my modvigil medication still?WOuld it help my sleeping disorder?

and would it help for my sleeping disorder?I have taken antabuse for 4 days ( 200mg ) how long will it block cocaine?

Why is one dose 24 H? I have taken antabuse for 4 days ( 200mg

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

It won't have any effect on your modvigil.

One dose of antabuse will stay in the system for about 24 hours. If it's taken on a regular bases it builds up in the system and that's why it takes longer for its effect to wane

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok so 4 days on it will take 4 days to come off it? So I will become alert if i continue modafinil?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It won't have any effect on your modafinil.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes but antabuse for 4 days stays in the system for 24* 4 hours?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--again--a one-time dose remains in the system about 24 hours

If it's taken for several days then it can stick around for up to three to four days

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I asked your colleague and he said that their is no connection between antabuse and cocaine. That antabuse would only work on alcohol and no evidence for cocaine abuse.

I am very confused and I do not understand how this drug acts on the brain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well--I asked you a question on the other page--before we go on can you tell me what's going on with you as concerns antabuse, naltrexone, and cocaine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i started antabuse, and have had severe side effects. I took some diet pills that acts as cocaine and I wonder if they can be affected by the antabuse. Does the antabuse effect or reduce the effect of these.

I have tried naltrexone. It did not work i would drink anyway. I am on antabuse but feel dizzy, ill and had hives yesterday. I have experienced shortness of breath since monday. Have been taking 200 mg since saturday until turesday. almost fainted and felt extremely dizzy yesterday. Had to go with the ambulance to the hospital.

I am also taking, alaprozam 0.5 mg for sleep 4-5 times per week.

Is there something I have missed? what is the issue with the dizziness and my retains to antabuse. ?and does it have anything with the diet/ cocaine I took?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so no alcohol whatsoever while you were taking the anabuse? What did the doctors at the hospital have to say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no alcohol at all. ZERO.

I have taken synthetic poweder that has half potency of cocaine.

DO not know if this could have an impact in the antabuse or the other way around?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So are you asking if you had a kind of allergic reaction to antabuse? And again what did the doctors at the hospital have to say?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they said this seemed like an allergic reaction- and I did not tell them about the powder because my boyfriend would have been worried

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so once more--what is it you'd really like to know here? It sounds like you shouldn't take any more antabuse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to know is it the amphetamine/cocaine poweder causing the side effects of antabuse / bad reaction or is it the actual antabuse only?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think it's purely the anabuse and not from the combination of that and the powder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. Very strange. thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but please remember to rate my anwers on the previous page