Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Just above my ankle inner side is very tender and sore. Slightly

Customer Question

Just above my ankle inner side is very tender and sore. Slightly raised vein in a small area.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The first thing that comes to mind with a presentation like that is Phlebitis. Which means that there is inflammation of the great saphenous vein which makes its way on the inner side of the ankle anterior to the bony prominence all the way up to the leg.
This vein is notorious for getting inflamed and if you press on the raised visible portion of the vein, it should be very tender. If this is the case then this is most likely phlebitis and I would suggest that you visit your Urgent care to have this examined and an ultrasound done.
Once the diagnosis is confirmed and other possibilities like tendonitis, arthritis etc have been ruled out, you can be started on oral anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily and Ibuprofen or capsaicin liquigel applied over the area thrice daily.
Foot elevation, icing and bed rest will be most beneficial.
Let me know if you have more concerns about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.