Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a 53 year old healthy fit female. I have a pain /heavy

Customer Question

I am a 53 year old healthy fit female.
I have a pain /heavy feeling in the centre of Sent from my iPhone
but I have not been left with this feeling in my chest. It is fine when I'm walking or lying down and seems to get a bit better when I take painkillers. It's worst when sitting so worse at work when at my desk but it gets better when I move position. The pain
is in the middle but can radiate to the right and left at times. I am able to sleep fine because it's ok when I'm lying flat. I have had it for about 3 weeks. About 15 years ago I had inflammation in my duodenum which caused similar pain but that caused me
to have pain up through my throat and my appetite was effected.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This is most likely due to acid reflux and heart burn since you have a history of gastritis and upper GI upsets and the pain is dull aching and does not appear to aggravate on walking and has been going on for 3 weeks. More serious conditions related to the heart usually present with intense chest pain, anxiety, sweating, dizziness and blood pressure changes and aggravate on walking and on activity. In order to avoid the episodes of pain you will need to make some dietary adjustments and life style changes.
You need to avoid smoked, salted, barbecued and spicy foods for dinner. Avoid alcohol and fizzy drinks or hot beverages at night and sleep with a head up tilt of about 30-45 degrees at night using a wedge pillow for this purpose. You should also start on Prilosec 20 mg twice a day taken empty stomach and use an antacid after you have had a spicy or filling meal. These things should avoid the aggravation of symptoms.
Having said that, it is necessary protocol to get an ECG done for any kind of new onset chest pain in an adult above 40 years of age and I suggest that the first thing that you do is get an ECG done at your local urgent care or an ER to rule out any heart conditions that might present in this unusual way since atypical presentations of angina and acute coronary syndrome is quite common nowadays.
If you have any more concerns about this please reply back.
Do remember to leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.