Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

When I pass a motion it is like glass cutting and is very painful

when I pass a motion it is like glass cutting and is very painful and I have tiny amount of blood on the toilet tissue at the mouth of my anus. I had a bowel scan last year and showed no problems. I go to the toilet every day or every other day.
I don't have constipation although I was for many years before I went for high fibre diet.
I have spoken to my doctor who says it is an age thing. I am a very active 76 year old.
It can clear for a few months and then come back. I use germoloids cream which my doctor advised. However this time it has lasted 6 weeks and I dread going to the toilet as it is so painful. Can you advise on any action.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Has your doctor done an examination to rule out anal fissure? Which specialist you have seen? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I haven't had an examination for anal fissure

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms the pain you feel while having a bowel moment is consistent with anal fissure. It's a sort of cut in the anal canal and pressure while passing stool characteristically causes sharp pain like you get. It has nothing to do with ageing. You must have seen your age fellows never complaining anything like this. You can get rid of this and I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available lidocaine gel can be used five minutes before bowel moment. This will numb the area and will help you to avoid the pain. You should take over the counter available metamucil twice daily. It will increase the stool bulk. I know you don't have constipation but you have to keep your stool as soft as possible because slightly harder stool will cause delayed healing of fissure. You should see a general surgeon who will do a proctoscopic examination of your anal canal and will suggest further treatment for its cure. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no further questions for Dr. Hasan or for any other aspect of Just Ask. Consequently I do not wish to receive further Emails from you Co or offers
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes sure. I will let just answer staff know to stop sending you email notifications. Whenever you need help you can always visit our website in future. All the best. Regards