Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have had a hysterectomy 10 weeks ago and have been constantly

Hi, I have had a hysterectomy 10 weeks ago and have been constantly back and fourth to the doctors regarding severe cramping and a huge change in my bowel movements. I used to be on zapain and tramadol and in the process of trying to come off med all together but, everything I do I get this severe cramping in my lower left hand side of my abdominal area and my kidneys and underneath me, please can u help because my doctors are making me feel like I am wasting there time
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
How many times a day do you have to go to pass stool?
Are your stool watery?
Have you been given any antibiotic for your problem?
Have you had any endoscopy/colonoscopy?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to go 5 to 9 times a day, which my stool is watery and sloppy, and bright yellow. I have been given no antibiotics since attending my doctors since this started. I believe they are under the impression it is because I have been on tramadol and zapein and this is why my bowel is the way it is. I have not had any of those procedures done since my hysterectomy. I used to suffer with endometriosis which is why I had the hysterectomy. I did have a c section with my little boy as well.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I personally think that since you are having altered bowel movements ever since you had your hysterectomy done, you could be having infection with an organism called C. difficile.

This bug can cause diarrhea and happens particularly after a surgery or a procedure during which antibiotics are routinely given to the patients.

Antibiotics used during surgery can alter the normal, helpful bugs, in the intestine which causes overgrowth of C. difficile causing diarrhea like what you are having.

There is no harm in giving a seven day course of flagyl (metronidazole), which is the treatment for C. difficile, for your diarrhea to see if it helps you with your diarrhea.

Testing for C. difficile toxins in the stool is also recommended, so if you have not had that test done I would recommend that you should have that done.

If your symptoms do not respond after a course of flagyl I would recommend that you should have a colonoscopy done to have a look inside your colon.

I would also work up you for celiac disease which can cause diarrhea for a prolonged duration.

You should ideally be referred to a gastroenterologist for this.

Let me know if you have more questions. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below. Kind regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just realised doctor I have already had this test done a few weeks ago when this all started and it came back normal which is why no antibiotics was prescribed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had the procedure done to check for a bowel infection you mean sureness but the results came back normal. This is why they think it has something to do with having been on tramadol and zapein. I have explained to them not to just take me from 30 to 8 mg because this is what happens but they aren't listening. I really need to know what to do because I can't go on like this

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You should ideally be seen by a gastroenterologist.
You need to have C. difficile infection ruled out.
You also need to have celiac disease ruled out.
I would also like that you should have infection with other organisms like Giardia lamblia ruled out as well.
The best person to treat you for your symptoms would be a gastroenterologist.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So do you believe this has nothing to do with the pain relief? And do you also believe this may not have anything to do with the length I was on the med for?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not think it has anything to do with pain relief.
It has nothing to do with the pain medications that you are on or you have taken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much you have been so helpful. Just oke more thing before I let go, will any of these conditions cause sweating, and feeling sick and constantly feeling tired and unwell?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Constant diarrhea can cause you to have all the symptoms that you have mentioned i.e. fatigue, feeling sick, sweating etc.