Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am very worried I may have HIV. I am gay and

Customer Question

I am very worried I may have HIV.
I am gay and have only been with three men in a sexual way.
I have not had sex with anyone for over five years now.
I was given oral, hand relief and fingering only.
I did not preform anything back to them, not did I have penetration sex.
For the last two weeks I have had:
Tired and sleeping more.
Dry sore mouth
I did have a dietbeties test a wile ago and was told I was border line. Also I take omprazole and have not taken it for three weeks and that does give me upper reflux and a sore mouth from the past which went away after soul my dose.
Would I of had a blood test taken for my dietbeties test as I can't remember and at the time if I had HIV my blood would of not been normal? This was done after my first man but not my second or third.
I do not look after myself. I only drink four drinks a day and coffee most. I don't give myself much sleep and only five hours then have to work on my feet allday, plus I miss meals and I'm worried now and depressed I'm going to die at a young age!
Thanks for your help,
Steven.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
These symptoms do not suggest hiv.
Dehydration from the drinks and coffee and acid reflux are common explanations.
Th risk of hiv is very low from fingering, hand job or even oral sex.
The risk is about one in 10000 cases.
So that is not likely.
Best wishes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I think more information is need first here please.

Any problem right now either with indigestion or weight gain or loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no other problems with my indigestion, other then the reflux problem which may be why I have a sore mouth. I have not noticed any change in my weight.
If the man fingered me but had an open cut would that not bleed into my blood stream?
I'm not saying he did and I did not notice anything at the time.
I have not had a blood test for over five years now. If you say it is not likely to me HIV which is good, what do you think it could be please?
Thank you again.
Steven.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK Steven From all you've told me you don't have HIV. The scenarios you gave me would not in any way transmit the virus.

As for what's going on now, First off with regular blood work that again is a factor to say this isn't HIV. Reflux is most likely the cause and the worry and depression are the reasons for your fatigue.

Let me know if we need to continue; otherwise please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you say that you do not think its would be HIV ?
But like I said if the person that was fingering me did have an open cut would this not get into my blood stream?
I did not notice anything at the time and worry about this possibility ! I am worried to the bone about this and having a blood test to find results. Sorry if I keep repeat myself.
Thanks once again.
Steven.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern Steven but the simple matter is you couldn't have gotten HIV that way--the virus isn't transmitted like that.

I am sure your blood test is going to be negative so try not to worry.

Let me know how it goes, and, again, please remember to rate my service to you