Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

After fall on ice.hurt my back then found right leg collapsed

after fall on ice.hurt my back then found right leg collapsed when tried to stand.at hospital back and leg exrayed and dr having looked at results told me i had no broken bones.but as i lived by myself and was in great pain i would be kept in hospital over week end then with social care would be sent home.few mins later the same dr came back to me and said i had to forget about going home after three days and that i would be kept in a bit longer as he had changed his mind about sending me home so soon after the fall.few hours later in another ward another dr came and told me my leg was ok but that i had broken my back,he said he had arranged to have a cat scan done as this would determine how many weeks i would be kept in hospital,a body support was strapped on and had to be worn all the time except when in bed.i was informed that i had a stable break of the lumber region and that i would be kept in hospital four to six weeks after cat scan results came back.four weeks later exray showed vertebrae had continued to collapse which was a puzzle to the dr.had to have mri scan done which seems showed that collapse was solely caused by the break.i do not undersand this. does it mean the break was not stable? i was not sent to a spinal unit at any time and was kept in a ward where patients appeared to be getting hip replacements or had opperations for new knee caps.i cant get my head round what has happened to me and feel i need answers from someone. can you help.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
You have had a traumatic fracture of the lumbar vertebra.
Do not worry, considering your age and gender this is not an uncommon fracture.
It is not a complicated fracture.
Delay in healing can occur in osteoporosis.
Sometimes a bone cancer called myeloma can cause this and that is why MRI was done, but this has been ruled out.
So you are looking at a straight forward traumatic fracture of the lumbar vertebra. You probably have osteoporosis which is delaying healing.
Immobilization and rest will heal this, but it will take time and you can expect to be in some form of immobilization for 6 weeks.
But it will heal do not worry.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.