Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have developed terrible pains and burning sies in my back,

Customer Question

I have developed terrible pains and burning sies in my back, also. Feel I have to pass urine every ten mins. I have numerous urine samples taken and all comes back negative
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long has this been bothering you?
Did the back pain and the frequent urination develop at the same time?
Has any evaluation been done beyond the urine tests?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

When dealing with symptoms in two different body systems, they may be related or unrelated.

If the back pain and urinary symptoms are due to a single illness, it would be related to degenerative disease in the spine that is affecting the nerves that serve the bladder.

If the urinary symptoms are unrelated, then the back pain would still be most likely due to degenerative changes in the spine, but there are several other conditions that should be considered for the urinary symptoms. Frequent urination can be due to a metabolic condition, such as either type of diabetes, or it can be related to a muscular or inflammatory conditions in the bladder.

From the perspective of the back pain, the gabapentin and pregabalin are common first-line medicines for relief of chronic back pain. However, if these are not effective, there are several other options that may help ease symptoms. The usual next medicines to consider are one of the antidepressants that have been shown to help with chronic back pain, such as amitriptyline and duloxetine.

For the urinary symptoms, there would usually be other evaluation, which is why I asked the above questions. The initial evaluation for metabolic conditions would involve blood work. The evaluation for the bladder would usually involve cystoscopy and urodynamics.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.