Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a cold since from last week. I travelled by plane

Customer Question

Hello, I had a cold since from last week. I travelled by plane last night and something happened to my ears while landing. I have dulled hearing in both of my ears. What should I do? Do I need to see a doctor?
Esi
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Yes, during colds and pharyngitis, the eustachian tube, a tube that connects the middle ear to the pharynx gets inflamed and blocked. Due to this the ears can not maintain their pressures and become a closed cavity. During flights due to the change in atmospheric pressures, the ears constantly need to regulate and change their internal pressure, and inability to do so can result in barotrauma or the infection ascending in to the ear cavity. You need to see a doctor as soon as possible since early changes are easily reversible.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any concerns about this.
Best wishes.