Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

There, I have an ear which is red all round and seems

Hi there,
I have an ear which is red all round and seems a bit swollen. A bit sore but not hugely so far. The same happened last year and it swelled a lot and stuck out like I was signalling right. I am waiting at the doctors now but it could take a while. Can't recall what they said last time and I'm at a different surgery. Would I need antibiotics? I need to sort it swiftly as I have meetings and a holiday booked. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Do you have such symptoms in only ear?
Are you passing any discharge from ear?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Do you swelling in outer part of ear?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Seems to be just right ear as I think it was last time. Although other ear may be a tad red. No discharge. Very little pain - maybe a bit burny. Yes the outer part is a bit swollen. Nowhere as bad as last year but I'm tackling it earlier. Maybe a bit sore in upper jaw but I do grind my teeth.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Well, such symptoms could occur with Otitis externa.
It causes inflammation (redness and swelling) of the external ear canal.
Possible cause could be-
A bacterial infection or seborrhoeic dermatitis. Also irritation or an allergic reaction may cause such condition.
It should not be left ignored and have to be clinically evaluated by doctor.
The line of treatment is-
Antibiotic ear drops – this can treat an underlying bacterial infection
Also corticosteroid ear drops should be given.
You should avoid getting your affected ear wet. You can use painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve ear pain and inflammation.
Ear examination should be done by doctor and accordingly you will be advised treatment.
Please make an appointment with your doctor for management of this issue. Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.