Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been diagnosed with Functional Movement Disorder (tremors

Customer Question

i have been diagnosed with Functional Movement Disorder (tremors and constant dizzyness being my main problems) by a neurologist at my local hospital. I was given a leaflet about the disorder, discharged and sent away to wait for my symptoms to go away. My tremors and dizzyness are getting worse - i get no support from my GP. I am 47yr single mother caring for an autistic son and daily tasks getting more and more difficult. I could do with some advice please. Gill
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Can you please elaborate your symptoms a little more?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything currently?
Please let me know.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
For my private email please see below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dizzyness when i move around. Tremors mostly legs and arms which worsen the more i do - have to use crutches when out and cannot go shopping by myself as looking around makes me very dizzy. have extreme light sensitivity get lots of migraines. have CFS , IBS, and degeneration of the spine C2-C5. have started citalopram 20mg recently and take migraleve for migrains frequently.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever been put on beta blockers like propranolol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no - not been offered anything like that

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
What kind of tests have you had other than what you have mentioned?
Have you had a MRI of your brain?
Had any nerve conduction studies?
Thyroid blood test?
Any other blood tests?
If you have tests can you please send them to me either here or on the contact info that I have mentioned below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have had MRI of neck and brain. no blood test or nerve conduction studies as neurologist at hosp was not interested and couldn't wait to get rid of me. Have mri reports saved of my desk top - am on my laptop in my bedroom at mo as where i spend most of my time due to neckpain when i stand up for too long. will send them to you but will take a while.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I personally think that you have not been evaluated properly before labeling you as suffering from functional movement disorder.
You require the following tests:
1. Complete blood count
2. Urea, creatinine, electrolytes
3. Liver function tests
4. Thyroid hormone test
5. Vitamin B12 levels
6. Blood glucose
7. VDRL
These are a few basic tests that you should have done before proceeding and diagnosing you with a functional movement disorder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. i have been treated for b12 def a few years ago by inj - have not been checked for levels since then. it's such a relief for someone of your stature to confirm that not enough investigation was done before diagnosis decided. have recently been refused Personal Independent Payment as am not disabled enough to qualify and still unable to get any further help from my doctor. can i take your advice to my doctor's and ask for a second opinion?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Yes you can certainly take my advice and request your doctor to evaluate you further before they label you with a functional movement disorder. I am glad that I was able to help you out. Whenever you have more questions please start a new thread with "For Dr. Shahzad Only". Kind regards