DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I keep on tapping my index finger against my thumb (right hand).

I keep on tapping my index finger against my thumb (right hand). I find I am doing it involuntarily and make myself stop but my fingers keep wanting to do it. My GP did a quick check for Parkinsons and said I did not have that. I am wondering if it is going to lead to something serious as I am 72 and take thyroxin - and metformin for Type 2 diabetes - low reading and diagnosed about 3 years ago.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today. Was MRI Brain obtained?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

You need to see a neurologist.

One would not jump to an MRI of the brain. Too much thyroid medicine, diabetes, low magnesium, B vitamin deficiency, other electrolyte imblance, muscle strain and stress, benign fasiculations.....and more All of these need to be ruled out.

MRI would only be based on neuro exam findings.

Parkinsons typically does not start like this.

Certainly, rare causes, such as MD and ALS can easily be ruled out by the correct specialist.

I am a double board certified doctor.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for ideas. Should I tell my GP that I have contacted you and ask to get tested on the things you have suggested? I am worried he will think I am a hypochondriac. I have just moved to this area and don't know him very well although he seems attentive. My thyroid and diabetes levels were in the normal range at the last test although he did seem puzzled at the diabetes reading of 6 and gave me the impression I should not be on metformin. I am taking 75mg of thyroxin. What does ALS stand for?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No in fact you should indeed be tested.
ALS is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis...you don't have it, it would cause weakness.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.