Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have mastitis (not pregnant) and have had antibiotics previously

Customer Question

I have mastitis (not pregnant) and have had antibiotics previously however I am abroad on business and so require antibiotics. can you tell me what I should get here abroad as you can buy penicillin over the counter here although I am unsure which penicillin to take?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to mastitis.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Mastitis is inflammation of tissue in one or both mammary glands inside the breast.
If this is infectious mastitis,antibiotics is the drug of choice to treat it.Treating mastitis usually requires a 10- to 14-day course of antibiotics.
This bacteria is highly responsive to penicillin and the cephalosporin antibiotics. Penicillin has shown good effectiveness, and it is reliable and cheap.So amoxicillin(a broader spectrum penicillin) are the best antibiotics to treat mastitis.
Amoxicillin belongs to a group of medications known as aminopenicillins.Its dosage is 500 mg orally 3 times a day.
Getting rest when you have mastitis is vital. Stay in bed if you can, or at least put your feet up for most of the day.The application of heat for a few minutes before a feed and gentle massage of the affected area helps faster recovery.
For pain relief,take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert