Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

It is about my husband who had a bowl operation and whilst

Customer Question

It is about my husband who had a bowl operation and whilst also problem with his lung whilst in hospital. He has been in intensive care in the last months. he was on ventilation, than trachetomy was performed. Now he is getting his speech back, and I see a general improvement but very worried about his weight. At one point he pulled out the tube that provided nourishment. Than they tired it a few times and did not succeed to put it back. It took altogether three days to get the tube into his stomach again with a bit a sedative. I was told that nourishment must be very little first and gradually increased to avoid food shock. Fair enough. That is what killed many labour camp survivors after WWII. But in case of my husband we are now into more than a week of getting nourishment and I do not see that it has been increased. He is extremely thin. He was when he got into hospital and now he much less. I need some advise whether it is normal to keep someone on(###) ###-####calories a day - though of course I am not sure for how long a 500 cal nutrition bag last etc. I hope I made myself clear enough.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your husband's situation.

it is true that his feedings have to be slowly increased

I'm sure he has a nutritionist or dietician working on his case monitoring his caloric intake.

ask his doctors how much of his 500 cal nutrition bag he is getting per day.

most likely he can be advanced by 100 or 200 calories a day until he can get up to a goal of 2000 calories a day.

I hope he can get there.

it sounds like he has hit many road blocks so far.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. This is exactly what I will do tomorrow. In general I do not see the nutritionist but will make a point to want to see them. Must say I had to make a fuss to get his tube back to working. So, I will do another fuss need I do it again. Thank you for your answer.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you are welcome

I am glad your husband has you to help advocate for him

thank you for your positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com