Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I wonder if you could help. My father who lives in Zimbabwe

Hi I wonder if you could help. My father who lives in Zimbabwe underwent emergency surgery on the 24th February for appendicitis the incision ran from below his chest through the navel and just above groin!! He is now suffering from severe back ache, cannot sleep and the when lying on his back what appears to be a hernia the size of an orange buldges from the incision? Would the back ache be as a result of this surgery? Very concerned as he is petrified of going back to the doctors as he was quite literally butchered!
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
This is something for which he needs to be examined at the earliest.
The back pain is very likely to be from the surgery.
The stress of lying on his back continuously during the post operative period would have caused this.
But what is most significant is the hernia protrusion through the incision. THis must be seen to at the earliest. Such hernias can sometimes have complications like torsion.
He needs to see his doctors for this at once. Though I understand that he is quite naturally reluctant to go back to the doctors, you must persuade him to do this. He can go to a different surgeon this time, suggest this to him.
Take care - wish him good health and a quick recovery.
If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti