Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

There seems to be an issue with the nerves in my tongue. Basically

There seems to be an issue with the nerves in my tongue.
Basically it moves around in my mouth without me instructing it too. If I try to move it up in my mouth and then down it starts spazzing out and goes all over the place. Basically i dont even have to move it, it still takes little jolts itself to a certain direction. It basically reminds me of a goldfish in a pool, the quick darts it does.
Movement arent smooth either if i try pull it out of my mouth and put it back in again, do this a couple times and it increases the frequency and velocity of its invol-movement.
The only solution I have found to combat this thus is valium. It massively reduces the movement to a not totally gone but manageable level.
When ever i am more nervous or stressed it affects it more which makes sense or whenever i drink a lot of caffeine.
The movement is there every single day. Not so bad in morning then gets progressively worse as day goes on. The eye strain and headaches as a result were crippling and made me avoid public situations.
My tongue caused this eye strain as it moving around makes me dizzy and then I have trouble focusing my eyes and also moving them as everythin seems to be moving even when what I am looking as isnt etc. This leads to migraines and tight ness all over my head and severe difficulty focusing my eyes and when i do focus the pressure I am feeling and dizzyness makes me lose focus shortly after.
My eyes have also in the past during some of these episodes rolled about in my head and it feels like I am always fighting a battle to keep them steady while looking at an object due to the dizziness.
I have had these issues for a couple years however I only noticed yesterday that the movement i was feeling was from my actual tongue. It didnt feel like it was coming from my mouth area as your tongue is so soft and i totally overlooked this instead being baffled at all these symtoms. I never thought pain in your forehead and eye pain and issues would be related to involuntary tongue movements.
I had had anxious episodes plenty in the past but it never came with all these new symtoms. Now the anxiety seemed to be stemmed from this dizziness, inability to focus and severe headaches. It was just a cycle. The the symtoms would get worse the more anxious I got and vice versa.
Few questions.
What can my doctor do to fix this? Am I right in thinking this is causing my issues?
If surgery isnt possible to cut the nerve etc Is it possible to have it permanently frozen to stop spazzing out and jolting off in different directions which puts my eye focus off?
Also the fact that the nerve is messed up on my tongue is it possible that they are messed up all over my face as I do seem to feel energy/tightness from cheeks and side temples and mid forehead. This energy swirls around and it could be in any of those places, it seems to become more active/bothersome when i move my head.
Would there be a solution to this if all nerves in my face were overactive?
Finally have you ever seen a issue like this before with someons tongue moving so involuntarily?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Before I answer your questions can you please let me know if you are on any medications for anything at the moment?
Have you been to any doctor for this as yet?
Any tests done recently or in the past?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I am not on any medication. I take a small dose of valium a couple days a week to help with these symtoms. I was not on valium before they started happening.

I do not get the valium of my doctor. Only as little as 2.5 mg can greatly reduce the symtoms and help loosen up the pressure and eye strain. This will work for maybe 2 hours.

I only realised that my tongue was involuntarily moving last night. I never knew this when I went to doctor initially so he was of no use.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Does this ever wake you up from sleep?
Are you under a lot of stress recently and do your symptoms worsen when you are stressed out or anxious?
Have you ever been diagnosed with anxiety?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have always been a pretty anxious person long before this. It never had these symtoms with it.

Under zero stresss at work.

Only stress I am under is with this illness.

It doesnt wake me up from sleep. Because I guess the nerves in my tongue have a chance to rest they are alot more relaxed in the morning.

Then it gets worse as day goes on.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Your symptoms and the timing of your symptoms are classical of your symptoms being due to anxiety.
Symptoms as a result of anxiety or stress (either emotional of physical) are classically reduced or eliminated when one goes to sleep so that is something that very strongly goes against anything serious or goes in favor of stress or anxiety causing this.
I would recommend that you be seen by your regular physician first and get this examined.
In addition to valium there are many other muscle relaxants that may help and that are not addictive like cyclobenzaprine (flexiril) which may help in your case as well.
I would also like that you should be on some medication for your anxiety like lexapro starting at a dose of 10 mg once daily.
This will help calm your nerves and also most likely help with your symptoms.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you explain though the fact that the nerves in my tongue are causing it move around involuntarily.

I focus my energy completely somewhere else and my tongue is still moving about.

The more then I move my tongue and more I focus energy to it, the harder it is to control and the more it is prone to involuntary movements.

At the end of the day I have had these symtoms every single day for a couple years. The valium I take at the moment enables me to have a semi life but again I cant take this every day or it will do more harm than good.

Taking lexapro is only a short term solution, I cant take this for the rest of my life.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It is actually not an issue with your nerves. It is your anxiety that is causing the symptoms and that is causing your 'nerves' to be hypersensitive. So if we treat your anxiety your nerves should be calmer and your symptoms should improve.
None of that is possible because the nerves are fine it is actually your anxious personality that has caused your symptoms.
Also there is no such procedure or surgery for the nerves that exists.
It is not possible for all the nerves of your face to be messed up and like I mentioned it is more your anxiety and 'nerves' that is causing it. Even though you may not feel you are anxious but your personality certainly is and it can have a toll on your body.
Yes, this is not so uncommon particularly in people who are anxiety prone.
And this is not something to worry about at all.
I understand that taking lexapro is very tough for the rest of your life but at least it is worth a try for a short-term to see if works for you or not.
Other than this counseling therapy and a visit to a psychiatrist to assess your symptoms may help as well.
I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if you have more questions.