Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Good morning. I am 75 years old and on Tuesday afternoon,

Good morning. I am 75 years old and on Tuesday afternoon, I fell over backwards, onto my behind and then my body flew back and I hit the back of my head very hard on the patio. A big lump came up and it really hurt for about 10 minutes. Then it slowly felt better and better and left me with hardly a headache. Yesterday and today the glands and muscles in my neck and shoulders are really painful and my rib cage and stomach muscles are quite painful. The back of my head hurts only when it's touched, laying on it etc. Is this to be expected or should I take a visit to my doctor or the local walk in centre.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Did you lose consciousness when you had the fall?
Any vomiting?
Bleeding from the nose?
Bleeding from the ear?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I did not lose consciousness, no vomiting, no bleeding from nose or ear, only from a bashed elbow.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

With what you are describing, most likely you have nothing serious.

You should be fine. You need good prescription pain medications if OTC pain medications like ibuprofen or naproxen do not work, which is what I would try first.

However, having said all that, I would prefer that you should still be seen in the A & E to have x-rays of your chest, head, neck and shoulders etc to make sure there is nothing broken or fractured.

It seems unlikely that anything is broken or fractured but it is always good to be safe rather than sorry.

It is very unlikely that you would be having any bleeding or damage in the brain because if that were the case you would have most likely lost consciousness or had bleeding from the nose or ears or clear fluid coming out from the nose or ears.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below as that is the only way I am credited for helping you out here.