Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My symptoms were all too obvious. 1.5 litres of yellow tinted

Customer Question

My symptoms were all too obvious. 1.5 litres of yellow tinted fluid drained from my lung-cavity at the local hospital! Also, Three months struggling to get breath The operating consultant suggested that one cause could be my heart state following my 'Coronary' of 10 years ago. I have irregular heart beat and pig's tissue heart valve replacement, also of 10 years ago.
What treatment is necessary to protect me from further fluid in the lungs?
Thank you for advice.
John Pedlar
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries,
From what you are telling me, you most likely had what we call pleural effusion which is accumulation of fluid around the lungs in the pleural cavity that can happen due to heart failure.
To prevent this from happening in the future you need to be on water pills (diuretics).
You also need to be on regular medications for your heart which you must be taking already as prescribed by your cardiologist.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am pleased with your advice. I expect my GP, after getting the consultant's report, will do as you suggest.

Many many thanks

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome.
Please follow up with me on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent advice. I had 11/2 litres drained from my lung cavity and water pill prescribed. Many thanks.

John Pedlar.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
You are always welcome.
I am glad that you followed up and I am glad that I was able to help you.