How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 32698
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I had a stroke one year ago which affected my left side physically.

Resolved Question:

I had a stroke one year ago which affected my left side physically. The last eight months I have suffered from piriformas syndrome (left side). Stretching alone doesn't fix it, massage also doesn't fix it. Do I need to strengthen the piriformas? I cannot find anybody that knows the answers. My problem is more foot related (pain when walking after sitting) than butt related (only discomfort)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. There's more to the therapy than merely strengthening and stretching the piriformis. And Botox and cortisone injections can also help.

I suggest you get a referral to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist for hands-on treatment that should be very effective for you

Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in the UK, I will try and persuade my NHS doctor to refer me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Chris