Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I had my first hip replacement done in 2000 which dislocated

I had my first hip replacement done in 2000 which dislocated in 2003 when this was repaired in infection set in and the cap became loose it was very painful but was not corrected for quite a while due to the diagnosis it was unknown what infection was there two sperations later still no clue, but after surgery it was discovered a mad of pus had eaten some of the bone and the prosthesis was removed, eighteen months later the hip was rebuilt with donated bone but I was warned of the possibilities if the infection could return that was 7 or 8 years ago I am experiencing the same pain as befor and I am worried that this has happened can you put my mind at rest please
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you have any symp***** *****ke fever, raised temperature of the knee skin as compared to the surroundings, redness of the skin, swelling of the knee area? Are you in pain all the times or feel it off and on? Which pain killers you have tried? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a fever but have suden pain in the hip and groin and down the hip to the knee I am taking co codamol 500mg but I can't take tomany as they make me sleepy I take two at night I am also paracetamol during the day as required
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a fever although my body gets hot very easily I have a lot of headaches but didn't think that has to do with it, the pain is in the groin and down from the hip to the knee, the knee also feels weak at times and hurts as I walk down stairs and worse going up. I am taking gabapentin,co codamol 500mg two at night and paracetamol when.needed during the day, I just want to know what the pain is.can you give me some advice as to what I should do my own go hasn't got any answers
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Ellen thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms, this doesn't sounds like a local infection in the knee as you got few years back. Sudden pain which goes from groin to knee is likely to be due to conditions like bursitis or nerve compression. This nerve compression can be in your hip or can even be in your lower back. With an infection or pus in your knee, you were supposed to have localized pain in knee joint with some or all of the symptoms I asked for. You should definitely see your doctor to get examined and investigated because nerve compression needs to be treated as well. you may need X rays and treatment like stronger pain killer and/or physical therapy but I reassure you that you are going to be alright and there is no need to be stressed about infection or pus. Till you see your doctor, instead of paracetamol, over the counter available tablet aleve twice daily is better alternative. Try to visit your doctor as early as possible. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First of all it was my hip that was the origin of my question but the knee is now secondary I have had frequency treatment on my back and fasit joints it seems to have made it more of a problem as my gp said it is more to do with the back, the pain is the same as the one I had before my second opperation in 2003

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Ellen thanks a lot for your input. Yes I know it was your hip which became infected after replacement. Actually I am not suspecting infection because it is not likely to get infection in the prosthesis after so many years. risk of infection is there immediately or within few weeks to months after surgery. At this stage, my suspicion is the same as above. I want you to be concerned and that is why I have advised you to see your doctor at the earliest but I don't want you to be stressed at all about that infection which you got in past. You are not likely to have it at this stage. Still investigations are required. All the best. Regards