Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Good afternoon my wife () has coughing bouts and sometimes

Customer Question

good afternoon
my wife (69) has coughing bouts and sometimes repetitive sneezing throughout the day and night. this has been happening for about the last 6 -8 years. it does not seem to bother her, but some nights it awakens us up, and is very distracting during the day, even to the point where the sneezing/coughing brakes up a conversation.
This happens all the year round so I don't think it is hay fever.
we have a dog, who is not the first, and is 13 years old, so I don't think it is that.
Could it be something simple like dust?
We work during the day at the same office. I don't think it is me, we have been married for 47 years.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

she could be allergic to something inside of the home such as dust, mold, animal dander or hair.

she can see an allergy doctor and get skin testing to see if she is allergic to any of these common home allergens

she might benefit from taking an over the counter allergy pill like claritin or zyrtec or allegra year round to help suppress these allergic symptoms.

I don't think she is allergic to you either. :)

has she taken any over the counter allergy medications before to see if they help?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
do you have any other questions?