Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband has a disc in his spine which over the years has

My husband has a disc in his spine which over the years has come out of place for a time, then go back into place. About 18 months ago it came out again but has never gone back. It is on his Sciatic nerve and causing him great pain. He puts an ice pace on it every night which gives some relief of pain. He has massage at a Chiropractioner quit regularly.
I have suggested that he has an operation on it, but is against the idea.
Would he be best having one and a disk put in his spine.
Would this relieve his pain and could he have it done on the NHS?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The disc is actually the intervetebral plate which separates the two vertebra. Over time with recurrent slips, the disc can become fibrosed and rough which prevents it from going back in to its place between the two vertebra.
The surgery known as Discectomy shaves or partly removes the disc and the part which is compressing the sciatic nerve, this relieves the pain and prevents the injury to the nerve from becoming permanent.
If he stays with the nerve impingement for more than 12 months, the disc can cause permanent damage to the sciatic nerve after which the surgery will provide little relief.
So, I suggest that he gets the surgery done in order to avoid the consequences associated with leaving the disc impinging on the nerve and the surgery will provide permanent relief from the pain due to the impingement.
The surgery is done as a minimally invasive surgery with arthroscopes and requires an admission of one day to the hospital. The surgery takes approximately 1 hour to 90 minutes and is nowadays considered one of the safest procedures because it is performed quite commonly.
Yes, the NHS will cover this procedure for you.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.