DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Last night I discovered I felt under my chin a small lump,

Customer Question

Last night I discovered I felt under my chin a small lump, but when I tried to see it in the mirror its not visible and cant be seen, but I can feel it with my fingers It is on the left side of my chin above of the throat. Please help what this could be

also when I touch it is abit painful

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This is the location of the submental lymph nodes and the submandibular gland.
The lumps in the gland are usually painful and increase in size during eating and when salivation occurs.
The most common cause of the swelling in this region is a lymph node enlargment. In your age group, solitary enlargements of lymph nodes in this area are usually without a cause (idiopathic), due to infections like bacterial throat infections, viral infections like mononucleosis etc., smoking etc.
I would suggest that you have this seen by your GP since lumps are clinical diagnosis and a lot can be told about the origin and cause of lymph nodes swelling by examining them and appreciating their characteristics.
Secondly, a Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology can be done, which uses a fine needle to aspirate some cells from the lump under local anesthesia in the physician's office and sent to the lab to establish the cause of the swelling. They will give their report in 72 hours.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thanks for the answer.

recently I have had other things such as weird burping, acidity and sometimes getting acid back in my mouth when burping. But as of now I don't have those symptoms.

This lump I found cant be seen visibly and can just be felt by touching.It is abit painful when touched,Is that a dangerous symptom ?

I googled this lump and all I am seeing is things about cancer, I am very paranoid that something seriously could be wrong with me.

Please help

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
That is why it is advised never to Google your symptoms, since everything you search for ends or starts with cancer.
Cancer is not a single symptom but a collage of symptoms. I doubt that this is cancer, however, like I said, lumps need to be seen clinically in order to ascertain what they are.
Cancerous lumps are not so shy in presentation, they present with other symptoms such as significant weight loss, loss of appetite, night sweats, evening fever etc.
If the lump is painful then it can be in the salivary gland. Even swollen lymph nodes can be painful.
With a history of acid reflux like you have, the infective etiology of the lump can be explained, since reflux causes pharyngitis (sore throat) and irritation and inflammation in the throat that can cause lymph node swellings.
Again, I would like to advise that you do not Google your symptoms and get an appointment with your GP so that an examination and an FNAC can be done to reach a diagnosis and alleviate your concerns and give you peace of mind.
Hope this helps.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the reply.

I can confirm the symptoms you mentioned in regards ***** ***** such as weight loss, loss of appetite etc I don't have anything like that at all.

Infact lately I have been gaining weight and I feel hungry more than ever.

I read on internet that this symptom could be a sign of salivary gland cancer. I am very worried as I mentioned. Is that type of cancer common in 21year olds?

I want to know your opinion on this issue, do you think this could be a dangerous thing (cancer) or a small infection. I really want to know your opinion regarding this.

As I explained this lump is located under the left side of the chin and above the throat. Cant be visibly seen, can just be felt why is this?

Please help.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
I can't give you a thorough opinion without examining you in detail which is beyond the scope of what we do here on this service, however, I operate on a lot of salivary gland tumors and they are not common in your age group. They are common in the third and fourth decade of life. Having said that it is a medical adage, the every lump be considered malignant unless proven otherwise.
I can only give you an opinion based on how you have described it and from that it does not seem like cancer.
The best advice I can give you is to have this seen by your GP and get the test I mentioned done to alleviate your concerns. Do not jump to any conclusions before your physician does as that will only add to your anxiety.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are cancerous lump painful and can be visibly seen/?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Seeing has nothing to do with cancer and nor does that confirm or rule it out.
It is not visible because it is small in size and because there are muscles over the glands and the nodes. Cancerous lumps are painful.
I would appreciate if you rate my answer or accept my additional services offer if you have more queries. We can proceed after you have rated the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't quite get your answers. they aren't in any detail, I want to be referred to a new expert. thanks.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Sure, I am going to opt out, do not reply back as that will lock your question back to me and others won't be able to answer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am a double board certified US doctor.
What questions remain for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last night I discovered I felt under my chin a small lump, but when I tried to see it in the mirror its not visible and cant be seen, but I can feel it with my fingers It is on the left side of my chin above of the throat. Please help what this could bealso when I touch it is abit painful
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is the typical location of the sub mandibular gland.
They are there, and can become inflamed and sore.
The more you touch it, the more you can aggravate it.
You do need to have your doctor look at it, since these can get infected, and get stones, which often need to be removed.
Another possibility is a reactive lymph node to some other infection, such as viral.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this a serious situation? I haven't felt something like this before. The lump cant be even seen just felt. Before having this, I had complain of acid coming in my mouth after burping, getting weird forced burps and sometimes heartburns. But overtime those problems have gone away.
I googled this lump and it all comes up at some type of cancer. I am very worried because of this.Please help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No
It is not cancer { that would have many more signs and symptoms].
It is not serious as long as you get it looked at.
I have explained to you what it likely is.
That happens all of the time.
You can not get a 100% diagnosis on line.
You can not replace a physician visit with an on line question and answer discussion.
Please click a positive rating. That is the only way we get paid by JustAnswer for our knowledge and time. Then let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I make an appointment with my GP what should I expect to be asked, and how will they investigate this lump?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Just by feel should be enough.
You will be asked, when it started, what it feels like, etc.
If there is any concern the GP would set an ultrasound of the lump, but I don't think that will be needed.
Good luck
Please click a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks doctor your help much appreciated clear and concise answers. really helpful. I will go to the gp tomorrow. thanks again.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome anytime
Any questions.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.