Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Need some advice - Had oral sex (giving - female)

Need some advice - Had oral sex (giving - female) for about 5 seconds with prostitute 4 days ago in a drunken state when I stopped. Should I get checked out for STD? If so how long do I wait?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question. I can understand your concern. Well, Oral sex can lead to the transmission of sexually transmitted infections.The most common STD transmitted via oral sex is herpes.Other common STD which spread when a person by this way are--Gonorrhea-Syphilis-Chlamydia -Hepatitis A, B, C.Transmission of HIV through oral sex is less common. The linings of the mouth and throat are very resistant to viral infections such as HIV, so infection is unlikely.Yes, you should be checked for STD. The time between first infection and when the test can reliably detect that infection is called Window period. They vary from a few days to 6 months for different STD. Each STD has a different incubation or window period, it means the time during which testing would not show a positive. You need to get tested after the incubation or window period of each STD.Specific STD Window Periods are as follows-Gonorrhea= 2 to 7 days.Chlamydia= 2 to 6 weeks.Syphilis= 10 to 90 days. The window period for Hepatitis B is usually 45-180 days, with anaverage of 60 to 90 days.The newer blood antibody test for herpes, has a 3-month window period. So, get a test after 3 month from exposure. You should consult your doctor, and get it tested at regular time. Good luck and take care. Please let me know how I can be of further assistance. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.