Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Staying at a shared rented house weekend, and just

Staying at a shared rented house for the weekend, and just managed to use a razor that wasn't mine by mistake (mine looks the same). I was the first of my group to use the shower, so razor must've been from previous occupant. Didn't cut myself, but just wondering what the chances are that I could've picked up something?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off, without a cut of any kind there was a zero chance of getting anything like HIV or hepatitis. If there had been a cut, the chances would have been very low--maybe one in 10,000. I don't see any reason for worry here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reassurance. There's so much info on the internet that it's easy to freak out, do I'm much comforted by your numbers here. Are there any symptoms that I should look out for which would suggest I need further testing?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I myself, if this were me, wouldn't consider any testing. As for symptoms, there can be none for months to years with HIV or hepatitis. If you wanted to screen for those, it needs to be after the three month point after exposure to assure a true false negative test