Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have just returned from Mexico involving a 9 hour

Customer Question

I have just returned from Mexico involving a 9 hour flight. Two days later I developed severe pain in my left leg which I thought was sciatica. I contacted my doctor for pain relief after two totally sleepless nights due to pain in my thigh. Todaythe pain in my left thigh has been intense all day making movement very painful. I am concerned that I may be suffering from DVT. I am 68 years of age and slightly overweight.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

You are correct to be concerned about the possibility of a DVT. A long plane flight is one of the risk factors for development of a DVT.

However, it is also possible to develop musculoskeletal pain after a long plane flight. So, it is typically necessary to undergo tests to look for a DVT. The usual first test is an ultrasound of the leg. Therefore, it is necessary to be seen by your doctor.

It is also something that should not wait until Monday, so you should be seen more quickly, even if you need to be seen in an Urgent Care facility or hospital.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, This is indeed serious. You likely have a big blood clot in your saphenous vein located in your thigh. This cannot wait. You need to go to the Emergency room for doppler ultrasound or a CT scan with contrast to check for DVT. If not treated early, this can move to your lungs causing fatal complications. Also if there is no blood clot in your thigh, you can be treated with strong pain medications in the emergency room.Medications like ketorolac, a muscle relaxant like Baclofen can be used effectively in case of muscle strain. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/