Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 2year old boy has had some tiny spots/blisters mainly

Customer Question

Hello...my 2year old boy has had some tiny spots/blisters mainly on bottom/backs of legs and a few on his hands/feet for a few days now. Nursery suspected HFMD and our GP said poss early stages of this but couldn't be sure (didn't seem concerned). He has been off colour for about a week and for the last 24hrs has had a 'sore tummy' with diarrhoea. Just been to the potty now and he has had a small amount of bloody diarrhoea. Could this be linked to HFMD or something else and does it require a trip to the docs (urgent or not)?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The diarrhea and the blood in his stool would not be related to the HFMD and it sounds as though he has a bacterial enteritis. He needs to be seen as soon as possi le for another exam and a stool culture and it sounds as though he'll need antibiotics for this. Let me know if you need to discuss this further