Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

On13th March my 52 yro (ESN) son was put on a course of 2 tabs

On13th March my 52 yro (ESN) son was put on a course of 2 tabs a day Colchisine for a severe attack of gout. This got him out of bed and back working as a gardener/handyman at a Rudolf Steiner Home and since 24TH April he has been on 1 tab Allopurinol but on 1st May he was hobbling again and yesterday once again unable to stand. There are some Colchisine left so would it be OK for him to return to that dose immediately and stop the Allopurinol?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Yes, it would be okay to return to the same dose to counter the pain.
I would also suggest that your son start on an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day and keep his affected foot elevated over two pillows while lying down. Bed rest is the main stay here and he should avoid work and physical activity and only perform necessary tasks such as going to the bathroom. He should stop the Allopurinol since it can aggravate acute attacks.
I would also suggest that he limit intake of foods high in purines, such as red meat, organ meats and seafood. Avoid alcohol as well.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the rating.
Let me know if you need any help with further queries as well.
Best.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Hi, an amendment to the previous answer. If he is already on Allopurinol for the past one week then he can continue it whilst starting the medication for the pain along side it.

Best.