Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have in the past, been diagnosed with IBS, which I now consider

Customer Question

I have in the past, been diagnosed with IBS, which I now consider under control primarily due to my fairly stress free lifestyle, having been retired for 8 years. Bowel examinations have shown the presence of diverticular, although I have never suffered any serious consequences of the condition. My major problem which causes me grave concern, is as follows :- From time to time, without any prior warning, I suffer the complete discharge of the contents of my bowel. This has happened approx. 12 times in the last 3 years, with devastating consequences, as I have not managed to get to a toilet in time, so that the discharge ruins my clothes etc. My GP has been unable to offer any explanation for the problem. Approx. 30 years ago I suddenly lost weight, & normal life suffered as a result, the problem was diagnosed, as a virus infection in my small intestine.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you feel perfectly fine in between these episodes? During these episodes, do you pass normal stool or loose? Do you have any symptoms like abdominal pain etc during that episode? Have you seen a specialist so far? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In answer to your question :- I feel fine between these episodes, & feel no pain during the passing of semi solid discharge, at a strength that belies prevention by external pressure.

Visits to a specialist, & subsequent colonoscopies, have been based on IBS, with my GP reluctant at present, to refer me.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. This is called fecal incontinence. Some people get occasional episodes of it like you but others get this on permanent basis. The causes include damage to the nerves or muscles which control the bowel moment. If you used to have constipation during your IBS then this can be a factor as well. Diverticular disease has nothing to do with it. You definitely need to visit a gastroenterologist to get yourself examined and investigated by tests like balloon expulsion test, anal manometry, anal electromyography etc. According to these tests the exact cause can be known. But I would like to reassure you that occasional occurrence of this problem indicates that you can get rid of this problem with treatment. Yes I do have suggestions for you. You should start doing kegels exercise. For this you should contract your muscles that you would normally use to stop your urine. Contract the muscles for three seconds, then relax for three seconds. Do ten sets of this exercise daily and gradually increase the number of sets. This is recommended treatment and will help you. So to conclude, convince your GP as you can get rid of this problem after seeing a gastroenterologist. My suggestions will definitely help you till then I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your diagnosis is much appreciated, as I can understand the mechanics of the situation, as you describe, & will visit my GP at the end of my current prescription.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will follow you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards.