Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had this white patch on my inner lip years

I have had this white patch on my inner lip for many years - possibly since childhood, I am 35 now and do not remember not having it. It has never changed shape or colour. It has a sort of line running across it that makes me think it could possibly have been caused by my teeth? I have a 9mm overjet of the two front teeth and you can see my lower teeth are also very crowded. I do clench/grind/tongue thrust at night and have TMD symptoms. Or braces I wore briefly as a 7 year old (but if it was that I imagine it would have gone by now, unless it is scar tissue?) I also was wondering whether it was some sort of autoimmune reaction? I have showed it to dentists and orthodontists who run their finger over it and tell me it's nothing to worry about, however I would like to know what it is! I have asked my GP for a referral to the consultant, the gp was mentioning lichen sclerosis and lichen planus or perhaps scar tissue but again said it doesn't look like anything bad. No testing has ever been recommended or performed. I would be grateful to have your opinion.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Can you please upload a picture of it here. You can do it as follows; 1. Click the paperclip icon2. Click the Browse icon3. Click the Browse button4. Select your file and click Open5. Click OK6. Click Insert7. Click Save Changes on this page Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have uploaded a photograph.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your input. Can you please try a bit clear image. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the best photo I can get:

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Rachel thanks a lot for your input I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I am myself Head and neck surgeon and I deal with oral cancers so I can assist you with your problem. I have reviewed the picture. The line is very mild and we can just call it a sort of scar. It has nothing to do with lichen planus, autoimmune reaction or anything else. The line which is there since childhood can never be serious. I reassure you that you don't need to stress yourself for this. Just see your consultant whenever possible. There is no urgency. I wish you a happy and healthy life. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you that is very reassuring! So the fact that it is white in colour as well as the line across is just due to the scarring nature? It does sometimes tingle a little when I am stressed but would this just be where I am possibly grinding/clenching more? Have you seen things like this before as I cannot find any info on anything similar. I am due to see a consultant in the next two weeks but would like to feel more confident in the interim time.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Yes it seems just like a scar. The white colour doesn't make it lichen. Serious lesions never start at early childhood and above all never remain the same for years. Yes I have seen such lesions and we just ignore them as we know that they have no clinical significance. You feel tingling just because of your anxiety about this lesion. I wish you a happy and healthy life. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery