Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Will try to give as much info as possible in the hope

Will try to give as much info as possible in the hope that you can help as my Dr, whom I saw on Wednesday was very unhelpful.
I went to the dentist last Monday and she noticed that I'd chipped my upper left molar at the very back so she put a very small amount of composite filling in it to last until proper treatment. Had no pain in tooth prior or since. I also started my menstrual cycle on Monday. From Tue onwards I had severe headache in my temple regions on both sides. I suffer from headaches prior to my period but not experienced them during. I've all had an on off minor ear ache in my right ear for some months and have been using ear drops to remove wax build up. The reason I'm writing is because I'm trying to determine the cause of this daily "headache" I keep getting. It feels like it's more around my ears and jaw and seems more noticeable on the left. I also don't have it when I wake up, it appears about an hour later. I don't feel like I've been clenching my jaw or grinding my teeth. It's quite a mild ache but just annoying! I also had a cold about 2 weeks ago and have had a mild chesty cough. The Dr's keep saying it's not sinusitis, not an ear infection but it's not normal for me at all so what could it be?! I'm 45 year old female.
Sharon
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Are you an anxious type of personality?
Are you on any other medications for anything else?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are your periods regular?
Have you had any blood tests recently?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I'm not anxious type of person.
No other medications or medical problems
My periods are pretty regular yes. Every 25 days or so.
No blood tests recently.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Do you still have the headache?
How severe is the headache? Rate it from 1 to 10?
Does ibuprofen and paracetamol help stop the headache?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I've still got it. It's mild...around 2/3 and yes Ibuprofen and paracetamol do help. At the start of the week it was around a 6/7.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I personally think that it may be hormone related i.e. related to your period even though you have not had them during your periods previously but they can still happen.
If your headaches persist even after periods or worsen you need to be seen as you may require a scan of your brain just to be on the safe side.
Meanwhile you should continue using ibuprofen or paracetamol (preferably paracetamol two tablets) as required for your headache.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd just like to check one more thing please. The "ache" is localised to the sides of my head, near my ears and jaw and temples. It's not in my forehead or back of head or anywhere else. It was across my forehead at the start of the week but isn't now, is that normal?! Or could this be multiple things...I.e. Normal headache from period (hormones) together with issue perhaps from dental work? Just seems coincidental that it's all started this week.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I agree that the dental work that you had could be a factor as headache can actually be a referred pain from the dental work.
However having said that it does not seem likely to be anything serious or anything to worry about and you should be okay in due course of time and the headache should settle.
Change in the location of the headache is not something that I would worry about too much and it is not very uncommon for location of the headache to change like that.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.