Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been unable to pass a bowel movement last 5

Customer Question

I have been unable to pass a bowel movement for the last 5 days - great discomfort
wanting to go to the toilet all the time but nothing happens apart from some brown liquid.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The greatest concern in this situation is that there is a large portion of hard stool that is in the lower colon, and the brown liquid is all that can get around the stool.

If there were no associated symptoms, it is fine to give it some more time, but since you are having great discomfort, it would be appropriate to perform interventions to clear the stool. When there is difficulty in passing the stool, it is usually better to use an enema, which can help to break up the stool and facilitate its passage. There are Fleet enemas that are readily available over the counter, but it may require multiple enemas. It is also an option to use a large volume enema via an enema bag, if you have one available, although even a large volume enema may need to be introduced via several smaller volumes, if the colon will not accept the full volumes.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.