Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Two and a half weeks ago I attended a kickboxing lesson

Customer Question

Hi. Two and a half weeks ago I attended a kickboxing lesson and then a day or two later I noticed that I had tenderness on the back of my thigh and on the tendons that meet the knee, but no bruising. Walking was uncomfortable and ascending stairs painful, but with some icing and resting I was able to walk normally several days later.
However since then I’ve still suffered from a sporadic dull ache in both areas, and also slight non-painful clicking in the knee. I cycle and swim a couple of times a week without much discomfort (although breaststroke does trigger a twinge), as well as doing stretching exercises, but I’m not seeing much improvement despite my GP suggesting it was just a slight hamstring strain.
Am I doing the right thing? Is there anything I can do? I’m keen to get back to full cardio and am finding the process very frustrating, and the nagging aches annoying. Sadly it could take a while to get a physio appointment in London on the NHS so I was wondering if you had any advise to aid my recovery.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. First off, without being able to examine you it would be unethical and unprofessional of me to give you stretching and other exercises to do on your own at home since you might do more harm than good with that

The swimming and the cycling--if it's stationary--should be fine but you should abstain from jogging and running. I personally would get an MRI of the leg and knee to look for any tendon tears or a meniscal tear in the knee.

Topical capsiacin cream can help here.

Unfortunately the proper treatment would be for you to see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for hands-on treatment for this.

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. Is there any benefit to icing at this stage, and also should I continue to take Ibuprofen?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Ibuprofen is fine and it's beyond the point where ice would help--but heat would
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Adam--any time