Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have severe ache/pain behind my nose, cheeks and electric

I have severe ache/pain behind my nose, cheeks and electric type squeezy headache (not migraine in front or sometimes at at the back of my head, I also have high pitched like crickets type of sound in my head, for 12 weeks now. I had an MRI on the brain they did look at the ears but I didn't get a sense they looked at nose. I also have a deviated septum. I am petrified it feels like I have some strange thing in my skull. I have seen two ENT consultant and a Tinnitus clinic, - no joy. I haven't had my nose looked at yet. Would you be able let me know if you have any idea what could be wrong with me and if it is serious?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

sorry you are having these pains.

you could have inflammation of your TMJ jaw joint which can cause sounds when you open your jaw.

was your MRI scan of your brain with contrast? without contrast things like trigeminal neuralgia and accoustic neuromas can be missed on your brain MRI scan.

you could have a bacterial sinus infection which might need a course of antibitoics which can cause squeezing type headaches.

have you tried a course of antibiotics yet?

was your MRI scan of your brain with contrast?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. My dentist said I did not have TMJ but sometimes I have really bad jaw and headache after singing or chewing on bread. The MRI was done without the contrast but an ENT consultant surgeon said there were no 'nasties' there or neuroma. Nobody looked at my nose yet. I had this for 12 weeks now. The cricket sound came soon after my lower and upper wisdom teeth were removed, in Feb although I am not sure the two can be connected. I went to an urgent care centre yesterday they told me it can be neurology related or anxiety induced. What is trigeminal neuralgia? Should I repeat the MRI on the head? Can they see the orbit space on the MRI? Can it be cancer in the nose? Thank you

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
if you have severe anxiety, this can magnify small symptoms and make you very worried about them.

if you have bad anxiety, this can cause you to clench your jaw day and night and this can cause jaw TMJ joint and joint inflammation and pain when you open and close your jaw.

trigeminal neuralgia is inflammation of the trigeminal nerve which can cause pain in your teeth and sinus area and cause pain and numbness in your jaw and mouth and teeth and face area.

yes, MRI scan of the brain can see the eyes and orbits

sure you can repeat your brain MRI scan with contrast.

I would not be worried about cancer of the nose.

I am more worried about possible sinus infection

I am a cancer doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is reassuring that its not cancer. I am really struggling and really worried what could be wrong with me. I tend to be very anxious but these headaches are driving it as they are so scary. The electric feeling in the head is frightening but they temporary. The headaches are squeezy paired by the nose pain is unbearable. My temples and behind my eyes and nose are the worst. I do not have discharge or runny stuffy nose though or a cold, but I did notice that I have what they call an occasional post nasal drip but not bad. I don't have temperature either. I have had the MRI done without the contrast in one of the Best London private hospitals in the Wellington. Do you think it is important to repeat? Can I talk to you on the phone and how much does it cost ?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
if you have bad anxiety, you might need treatment for your anxiety symptoms.I would get treatment for your anxiety symptoms first and see if that helps your symptomstreatment for your anxiety could help your headaches and your other symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it is a sinus infection, can they diagnose if its is viral or bacterial? How serious can a sinus infection be? I had facial sinus infection before and it was very obvious and easy to treat. I also notices that I have neckpain when I move my head to the left and a temp vertigo sometimes when I pull it back this could be unrelated though. Do you think it is dangerous? I am taking pain killers only but can get antibiotics if you think I should take them. It probably would be easier to talk on the phone do you know how much does that service cost? Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
sinus infections are very common and not seriousyour symptoms don't sound like a sinus infection which would cause sinus tenderness, headaches, pain around the eyes.I don't think what you have is dangerousI think you need treatment for your anxiety symptomsand you most likely need to be seeing a psychotherapist or counselor.the cost of the phone consult on the offer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when I am anxious I normally have chest pain and I head a panic attack a few times, but I recognise the symptoms now and learned to control them. I am worried I have some disease that or serious illness that is being missed somehow. The phone offer keeps popping up but I didn't tick it as I didn't know if it relates to the same doctor.

What if I have a skull based sinus ? The ENT surgeon said my sinuses were clear on the MRI but does the MRI show skull based sinuses?

The trigonomal nerve problem is it dangerous? Is it treatable? I will have a look at your phone offer now. many thanks

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, the MRI scan would show skull based sinuses.
you don't have to worry about this.
yes trigeminal neuralgia is treatable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you doctor I really appreciate your help. how is trigemnial neuralgia diagnosed? Should I have blood test done today? You mentioned that you worried that it might be a sinus infection, Can it be if I dont have runny nose, cold just the headache cheek bone and nose pain? Also the headache is not only effect one area but seems to move around but mostly temple forehead and top of the head, occasionally in the back of the head.

Do you think I have a serious or dangerous problem?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
trigeminal neuralgia is diangosed with a brain MRI scan of the brain with contrast and with the type of symptoms you have. I mentioned several optionsbut now I am not so worried about these diagnosis.it sounds like your anxiety symptoms are the pain problem here.you don't have runny nose or congestion.I think the serious issue you have is excessive anxiety symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for all your help. I will look into all you suggested. How serious can anxiety symptoms be to manifest physical symptoms like mine?

I really hope it is stress/ or anxiety related and I really hope I don't have some sinister disease behind the scenes.

My last question is can Tinnitus relate to vascular or artery problems and would that have been picked up on my general routine MRI of the brain without contrast?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
your anxiety sounds like it can be serious enough to be causing some of your physical symptoms.I don't think you have any sinister.vascular or artery problems would have been picked up by the MRI scan without contrast.you don't have to be worried.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr. David you have been a tremendous help to me today and very reassuring too. I will definitely would and will recommend your online services to anyone who needs medical help or answers or just reassurance for their peace of mind. I am sorry I didn't get to talk to you on the phone but I had to go and to see my on-call Gp who said very similar things and she gave me appt. straight after your last answer.

Once again thank you and I will be in touch if I need any other help in the future.

Please keep up the great work, we need doctors like you.

Many many thanks I will do my feedback right now.