Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

What is a ALP reading ?

Customer Question

What is a ALP reading ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--do you mean what is ALP on a blood test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes . I ask cuz my dad's was 75 in march bur now seems to be 225.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. ALP stands for alkaline phosphatase and it can either be from the liver or from bone. If from the liver and elevation indicates either a blockage of the common bile duct from, say, a gall stone or pancreatitis, or it can be as in your father's case from liver mets. If it's from the bone, it can be from bone metastases from other cancers, but usually that isn't seen in lver or colon cancer. It's a little difficult for me to say what exactly his elevation means here and his doctors would be able to do that for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could it be the mets alone or poss blockage of bile duct ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I really can't say for sure. If the other liver enzymes were normal than most likely it was from a bile duct blockage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Others were normal. can such a blockahe b treated ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If it's a stone, yes--that can be extracted through a scoping process called ERCP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mean can a liver met block a bile duct ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It can but it would have to be a large one. If that were the case only surgical removal of the met could unblock the duct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well in march it was 7.4 cm seen on a ct scan and by nor assuming it's grew if chemo is not working

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We're starting to get into a new question topic here that I'll discuss with you if you rate my service on this page and then start a new page for me