Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have taken codeine past 4 days. Started with

Hi I have taken codeine for the past 4 days.
Started with a dose of 50mg on wednesday
on thursday: 100mg
friday 100 mg
saturday 110mg
I noticed that I feel very tired in the morning and more tired than I usually experience. I do not know if its due to the codeine but i have felt really down and feeling sleepy all the time. otherwise I am healthy and did a full check of my blood and heart etc.
I feel aching pain in back at the moment. But I still feel tired and a bit down( as compared to my normal feelings).
Please let me know if codeine can cause this effect or if I should consider something else?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This is a very common thing with codeine--sleepiness, fatigue, sometimes nausea. Nothing too serious about it but if you cut back on your dosage theses symptoms should resolve themselves soon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok but is this common the day after? I took codeine in the evening at 100 mg, so how could it cause fatigue the day after?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It most likely is still active and in your system. Alternatively this could be either anemia or low thyroid so it would be best to let your doctor know about this and have him check you out