Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a sharp pain on the right hand side towards the bottom

Customer Question

I have a sharp pain on the right hand side towards the bottom of my right breast (about diaphragm level). I can take shallow breaths but not deeper breaths without having sharp pain.
I can't feel anything externally, lumps or difference to left hand side.
Will this pass or should I be doing something about this?
thanks
Yvonne (age 47)
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If there is no tenderness when you press on the rib cage over the area of pain, it would most likely be due to inflammation of the lining around the lung. The name of the lining is the pleura, and inflammation of the pleura is called pleuritis or pleurisy.

When the symptoms are of short duration, it is frequently due to an infection in the chest. If there are no other associated lung symptoms, it would most often be viral. But if there are other symptoms, such as cough or shortness of breath, then other lung infections, such as pneumonia, should be considered.

If there are no other lung symptoms, then it would be OK to use ibuprofen to help with the inflammation, and the symptoms will usually resolve. But if you are having other lung symptoms, it would be better for you to be seen to determine whether there is a pneumonia present.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The area is painful to touch - about a 2.5" section round the edge of right breast.

also hurts to drink/eat

I am sorry, when you said that you did not feel anything externally, I interpreted that to include no areas of tenderness.

If there is tenderness, then it is most likely from musculoskeletal inflammation, most often affecting the joints where the ribs attach to the cartilage that then connects to the breast bone, a condition called costochondritis.

This is less worrisome and is not associated with any serious condition. It can be quite painful in some people, so it is appropriate to treat the condition, but not because of any serious problems associated with the condition. In addition to the ibuprofen to relieve inflammation, it also may help to apply moist heat to the area of pain and tenderness, as the most heat can also help ease inflammation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

You are most welcome.