Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Im 51, I have early SVD in the brain, with minimal non specific

Hi im 51, I have early SVD in the brain, with minimal non specific white matter changes indicating early small vessel disease, this was my scan report 6 months ago, I went to the doctor over 2 years ago complaining of memory problems word loss ect, he dident coment on it really, 2 years later he now tells me that either him or the neurologist will tell me im in cognitive decline, im due to see the specialist in a few days, what id like to know is, could early SVD really cause VCI at such an early stage? thanks
Steve
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi Steve. Small v essel disease refers to small areas of the brain where there is diminished blood flow. These are sometimes referred to as lacunar infarcts--very small strokes. We see then frequently in patients over the age of 50 when they have a brain MRI or CT for whatever reason. That said, quite often they don't cause any symptoms at all--they are "silent," so to speak. You need a full battery of cognitive tests to determine exactly what's going on here.

Let me know if you need more information--I'll be more than happy to continue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't had any strokes I have been cleared of strokes, all I really wanted to know, is it posable to have cognitive impairment from early SVD or not thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well if the SVD actually results in lacunar infarcts those are "silent" strokes--they don't cause any symptoms. But to answer that last question simply--no, early SVD doesn't cause cognitive impairment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I don't have depression ect , so what could be causing my memiory and word forgetting? could it be functional disorder, why would my doctor say im in cognitive decline just last week? is he messing me around?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I really don't know what he meant exactly by cognitive decline, especially if he didn't do a battery of cognitive tests on you Steve. And before I would diagnose something like Alzheimer's or dementia--not saying you have either--I'd check for medical causes like low thyroid and low vitamin B12 levels.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iv had all the checks for thyroid and b12, they were fine, he thinks this due to talking to me on several ocaisions, could a functional neurologal disorder be a possabilty?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by functional neurological disorder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think in the usa its called conversion disorder

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, it's not a specific term but in general it means a non-organic disorder, perhaps like conversion disorder but also seen with anxiety disorders and depression, even if you don't think that's your problem. All I can say for now is that the SVD seen on the scan is not the causative factor here. The neurologist can do the formal cognitive testing which would be essential to see if this is, as you call it, a functional neurological disorder