Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had a cough and crackly chest least six months.

I have had a cough and crackly chest for at least six months. Chest X-ray clear and side effect of blood pressure medicine ruled out. Asthma also discounted.Yesterday I had two choking episodes which I found difficult to control .
My doctor is sending me to hospital to investigate unexplained cough but this appointment will take months to come through. I am concerned about this
Any advice please ?
Margaret B
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi Margaret

Have you had your sinuses checked?

Any problem with heartburn or indigestion?

Is this a completely dry cough?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have not had sinuses checked.
No heartburn
Yes dry cough
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just one other question--how has this been treated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had antibiotics anti histamine and tests and preventative inhaler for asthma all of which made no difference.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--all I can do here Margaret is give you my thoughts--let me know if you need more information.

I would get a ct scan of your sinuses to look for a chronic infection there since post-nasal drip from that could be the problem

But much more likely is silent gastric acid reflux--no indigestion or heartburn, but the acid reflux is aspirated into the lungs causing a chemical bronchitis.

Were I your doctor I'd get the scan and give you a two week course of either Prilosec or Nexium to see if that clears this up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your thoughts which reassure me . My doctor is not helpful when you suggest to her that you have a diagnosis yourself! Can you advise me whether to wait for my hospital referral or should I pursue this more urgently?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well actually for now you can try over the counter Prevacid or Prilosec on your own and I'd also suggest a saline nasal spray or irrigation system in case it's your sinuses. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Margaret
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advice I will rate your service now. Please confirm that I have not signed up for a monthly plan.
Margaret Bain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'll make sure you don't have a subscription Margaret and thank you