Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I recently had a myringoplasty and past 2 months all

Customer Question

I recently had a myringoplasty and for the past 2 months all I can taste is salt. My surgeon says I have a build up of scar tissue which is causing deafness and possibly resting on the chorda tympani nerve.
Is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr David

have you tried a scopolamine patch to help decrease your saliva formation?

have you tried an allergy medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Reducing saliva does not get rid of the taster of salt - just the density of the salt. Do not want to reduce amount of saliva permanently.

Is there anything I can do to reverse damage to nerve?

Any food or drink to minimise salt taste?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I see.

your facial nerve to your tongue must have been damaged by the surgical procedure

there are medications like neurontin and lyrica which can help sometimes with nerve damage or neuropathy

also sometimes B12 supplements or magnesium supplements can help if your levels are low to help your nerve function better.

in some patients, if you have damage to tissues or wound healing issues after surgery, hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy can help push new blood flow into an area to help with healing.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I just wanted to come on here to tell you there really isn't anything medication-wise that will help with this. Surgery to decompress the nerve can be considered, but often a partially damaged nerve will regenerate--heal--given enough time
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

there are medications which can help

you have had surgery before which has caused this problem.

there is a medication called carbamazepine which can help with nerve pain and abnormal nerve function after nerve damage. this medicaiton is also called Tegretol

talk to your doctor to try it to see if it will help

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com