Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My husband has been discharged from hospital this afternoon

My husband has been discharged from hospital this afternoon (Monday) after undergoing hip replacement surgery on Friday. The orthopaedic surgeon used a spinal/epidural-type anaesthic and the procedure appeared to be successful. However, immediately post-op he has and is still experiencing severe bladder/prostrate problems. He needs to urinate about every 20 minutes, has difficulty passing urine and is extremely uncomfortable. As a result he is not sleeping and becoming very stressed. He is 69 years of age and usually healthy, tasking Warfarin for AF. Is the bladder problem temporary or has he experienced a permanent problem? Thank you. MS
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this problem. Most likely he has a slightly enlarged prostate normally. Maybe enough to cause some symptoms from time to time. Maybe not.
What happened here is that they inserted a foley catheter (into the penis) during surgery. They probably nicked the bladder and caused swelling. Now the swollen prostate is interfering with urine flow.
This is actually a temporary but BIG problem. This can cause urinary obstruction.
He needs to be seen by a doctor immediately and have a catheter placed back in until the swelling goes down. Or put on meds to shrink it like flomax.
He does need to be seen though. That is for certain.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)