Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have been on Lisinipril 20 one year now. Is it

I have been on Lisinipril 20 for over one year now. Is it possible for side effects to start occurring after this period of time. I am having problems with heartburn and bloating, plus weight gain which I cant seem to shift. I am careful with my diet and eat healthily
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely it can be. Side effects can come on at any time in the course of taking a medication. I have had patients take medications for 5 years then develop typical side effects.However, I have to tell you that these are not typical side effects of lisinopril. It is certainly possible bu they are not very common. If you are having problems with heartburn and bloating an antacid may be needed like prilosec. Weight gain is common with thyroid issues. I would talk to your GP about the above and see if he/she agrees.However, it would be very easy to ask for a different BP medication for a while. There are many options other than lisinopril. And see if this gets better.
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Hello,No these side effects are not from Lisinopril as they occurred after 1 year of taking the drug.Instead this seems to be acid peptic disorder, or gas pains.There are several OTC medicines which are generally safe which you can use for this. I would suggest Alka Seltzer two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily. You should also take Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) once daily early in the morning.Some other natural steps that you should take for control of these symptoms are:*Cut down on alcohol and smoking*have small frequent meals*cut down on fried foods*take sips of cold water from time to timeThese steps will give you relief. But do go to your doctor also for a checkup for this. Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery.If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively. We are paid only when a positive rating is given.Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.Dr. P. Jyoti