Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I'm in Costa Rica. I had unprotected sex, and caught an

Hi, I'm in Costa Rica. I had unprotected sex, and caught an infection. It felt like chlamydia since I had it before. I went to the chemist and was able to get antibiotics. I took azithromycin and metronidazole. I felt it clear up, but then a couple days after I stopped the medication it came back again. I'm know taking another dose of azithromycin and metronidazole but it doesn't feel like it's getting better and I'm now worried it has become resistant to the antibiotics. Not sure what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
What dose of azithro did you take?
Also, why the metronidazole?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took a single dose of 1000mg.
Last time I had an infection I was also prescribed metronidazole in case it was NSU. I didn't actually get tested. But that cleared it up.
I took 500mg twice a day for 6 days.
much of gonorrhea is resistant now. I suspect that is what it is
chlamydia is very easy to treat and is knocked out easily
However, gonorrhea is becoming tough.
You may need doxycycline or another antibiotic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I start a course of doxycycline while I'm on the second course of metronidazole? I can get antibiotics over the counter here. Obviously would be preferable to go get tested but I don't speak Spanish and worried it will be expensive here.
Yes, you can. Of course I recommend testing first but that is your choice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Can you just tell me what dose of doxycycline I should take for gonorrhea? Thanks
100 mg twice a day for 7 days.
CDC recommends a shot of rocephin with this
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)