Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I need a quick fix today please. I feel awfully anxious today

Customer Question

I need a quick fix today please. I feel awfully anxious today as I am starting a new job. Bearing in mind I have been out of work for nearly 5 years fue to Chronic Fatigue. I still suffer from CFS of course, but it is most of the time "bearable", hence wanting to start work (only 3 hours a week at a local school with a class of 6-year-olds). I have been really wanting to work for months! However the past week I have been waking up anxious worrying about it, if I can cope, if I can look after the kids, if the noise etc. is going to drive me crazy (as part of CFS I am hyper-sensitive to noise, light, a lot of movement, etc etc...), if I'll have the energy yo be able to then look after my own kids in the afternoon, plus a couple of "trial hours" t the school brough me down so hard I was "out" for a day, which is not good as I have 3 small kids myself. So a lot of worry, a lot of "what ifs" (which I know are destructive! I suffered from anxiety at the start of my CFS and I know how bad it can get!). On the other hand I know it is only 3 x 1 hour, so for any NORMAL person, it is laughable.
Point is, I am feeling really anxious, which is making my fatigue worse, and I am getting sharp pains in my heart (sure sign of stress). I am considering taking half a 2mg Diazepam (which I was prescribed mainly for muscle spasms but also to help relax and sleep; and which I do not normally take may I add), but again, this will most likely make my muscles feel even weaker (and I feel quite "wobbly" as it is).
I need a quick fix advice - something to help me get through the day without the anxiety taking completely over and exhausting me before I even get to work. Please.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Diazepam is a good medicine for anxiety for intermittent use or short term use. The problem with diazepam and other medicines in this class is when the medicine is used regularly for a longer period of time, in which case, it can worsen the anxiety.

However, for short term use, to be able to overcome the anxiety associated with a new job, it is a reasonable medicine to take.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. As I said I don't normally take it (in the last year on fewer than 10 ocassions half a 2mg tablet at a time as I tend to react stroner than "normal" people to medication too). Shall I take a whole one on this ocassion?

Also, apart from the medication, is there anything else I can do in your opinion to de-stress a little? Thank you!

As long as you continue to take the medicine this infrequently, then it would not cause a worsening of the anxiety.

There are a variety of lifestyle interventions that can be performed to ease stress and anxiety, such as regular exercise (if possible with the CFS) and self-relaxation techniques (yoga, controlled breathing exercises, etc.).

There are also other medicines that can be used for anxiety, such as certain antidepressants, but they are better for long term use and not as good for short term use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help!

You are very welcome.